Second Independent Review of the National Defence Act
In 2011, the Minister of National Defence appointed the Honourable Patrick J. LeSage, retired Chief Justice of the Ontario Superior Court, to conduct the Second Independent Review of the National Defence Act (NDA).
The review deals only with the changes Bill C‑25 made to the National Defence Act, not the entire Act. Bill C‑25 requires the Minister of National Defence to conduct an independent review of the provisions and operation of the Bill every five years, and to table a report of the review in Parliament. The Bill made important amendments to the Act concerning the military justice system, the Canadian Forces grievance process and the military police complaints process.
On June 23, 2011, the Commission submitted a comprehensive brief to the Independent Review Authority.
- Cover Letter to the MPCC Submission
- MPCC Submissions to the Independent Review Authority
- Cover Letter to the MPCC Supplementary Submissions
- Suggested Legislative Language regarding MPCC proposals 1 (complaint classification), 14 (informal resolution) and 22 (extension of Commission Member’s terms in ongoing cases)
- Supplementary Submission regarding MPCC Access to Sensitive Information (Canada Evidence Act scheduling)
- Supplementary Submission regarding MPCC Access to Solicitor-Client Privileged Information in Certain Cases
- Date modified: